Memoirs of a Taiping Boy

Memoirs of a Taiping Boy

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Visited An Old Friend This Hari Raya

On the second day of Aidil Fitri, decided to visit a very old friend that I have not seen since the 1980’s, Roslan Hussein Merican. I first knew Roslan in 1981 when I was posted to Kwong Yik Bank Wisma Central branch. I was a new staff to the bank and Roslan was the first person to befriend me. Not only he treated me like a new colleague but I felt like he accepted me like a cousin.
At Roslan's house near Ampang Hilir, 1981.

After my transfer to SImpang, Taiping branch, Roslan was posted to the branch as relief Chief Cashier twice. On both occasion, Roslan stayed at my house in Asamkumbang.

On one weekend, I took Roslan for a walk up the Maxwell Hills together with my friends.
Maxwell Hills trip, 1982. Roslan in white t-shirt.


We lost touched after I left Kwong Yik Bank in 1986. By that time, Roslan was promoted to an Officer position and was transferred out of KL to other KYB branches in Terengganu and Kelantan.


It was this year (2012)that I got back in touch with Roslan through my daughter. It happened to be my daughter, Nina and Roslan’s daughter, Ika, were in the same college several years ago. Nina mentioned to me that Ika’s father is a very senior staff with RHB Bank ever since the KYB days. So I ask, what is her father’s name. Nina answered,”His name is Roslan Hussein”. I asked again,”Roslan Hussein Merican?”. Nina replied in positive. I mentioned to her that “uncle” Roslan is indeed my friend. I took out those few pictures that we took of the Maxwell Hills trip many years ago.

When I got Roslan’s mobile number from Ika through Nina, I sent an SMS to him. To my joy, Roslan replied in positive that he remembers me and my old model train set (Many years ago, I had a model electric train set on 8 feet x 4 feet base).  Ah! After all these years, we are able to get reconnected.

On this year’s Hari Raya, I decided to pay him a visit. It was great to finally meet Roslan again. I had intended for a short visit but we stayed for 4 hours.




We bade our goodbyes but rest assured, we will meet again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment